Pants

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Many Happy Returns

From W. D. Cocker's "Many Happy Returns"

Maggie.--I doot Duncan's no' very gleg, but he means weel, puir chiel. Ye hae to speak oot plump an' plain wi' the likes o' him. Ye canna say yea thing an' mean anither.

Nancy.--Weel, but this was ma birthday, could he no' see that this was his chance? Yet he forgot' a boot it; he never as much as wished me many happy returns.

Maggie.--Weel, he kens noo; he looked rale taen aback when I said the jumper was for yer birthday.

Nancy.--Did he? Ay, I thocht he lookit kin' o' frichtit like. Puir Duncan. It's no' that I'm wantin' a present. But if I thocht he would rather no' gie me onything it would be a sair dooncome to my pride. I shouldna like him to be meengy.

Trip number 2 to North Berwick (pron. 'berrick'). We spent most of our time trying to read in a local pub, but the Scots were getting steamed and watching football, so we ended up just gawking at them. One gentleman noticed that I was reading about music. "Music," he slurred. "Iiiiiiii like Goooooooood music -- you know, Meatloaf." With this, "The amateur triumphed over the musicologist: his taste, not the history of music, governs his system of classification" (Antoine Hennion, Sociologist).

Kyle (looking lovely as ever) & Alison (flatmate).

More sunset in North Berwick. I'm not exactly great at sunset photos. It was better in person.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Big T. Niel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:55 AM  
Blogger The Big T. Niel said...

I think your sunset picture is pretty kickin' Kyle, the way the clouds look make it kind of look like its in some sort of fast forward, and you managed to snap a shot of time in motion. I think. Anyways, had some trouble deciphering that dialogue, but it did remind me of Bart's play that he wrote when he had a broken leg. "Is it St. (something)worth day already?" "It is!" cried Aunt Hilda!

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home